Study Of Diabetic Nephropathy With Atrasentan
a study on Diabetic Nephropathy
This study is being conducted to evaluate the effects of Atrasentan on Renal Outcomes in Subjects with Type 2 Diabetes and Nephropathy.
A Randomized, Multicountry, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Parallel, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Effects of Atrasentan on Renal Outcomes in Subjects With Type 2 Diabetes and Nephropathy SONAR: Study Of Diabetic Nephropathy With Atrasentan
The study objective is to evaluate the effect of atrasentan compared with placebo on time to doubling of serum creatinine or the onset of end stage renal disease (ESRD) in subjects with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy who are treated with the maximum tolerated labeled daily dose (MTLDD) of a Renin Angiotensin System (RAS) inhibitor. In addition, the study will assess the effects of atrasentan compared with placebo on cardiovascular morbidity and mortality, urine albumin excretion, changes in estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR), as well as on the impact on quality of life in subjects with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy.
Diabetic Nephropathy Diabetes Nephropathy Atrasentan
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18–85
- Subject has type 2 diabetes (including patients with latent autoimmune diabetes or insulin-treated patients without a history of diabetic ketoacidosis who also have a negative anti-glutamic acid decarboxylase test AND an elevated post-prandial serum C-peptide level) and has been treated with at least one anti-hyperglycemic medication and ACEi/or ARB (RAS inhibitor) for at least 4 weeks prior to the Screening S2 visit.
- For entry into the Run-In Period the subject must satisfy the following criteria based on the Screening laboratory values:
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) 25 to 75 mL/min/1.73 m2 [until the eGFR cap on subjects (approximately 300) with a baseline of> 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 is reached] and a urine albumin creatinine ratio (UACR) greater than or equal to 300 and less than 5,000 mg/g (greater than or equal to 34 mg/mmol and less than 565 mg/mmol);
- Serum albumin greater than or equal to 2.5 g/dL (25 g/L);
- Brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) less than or equal to 200 pg/mL (200 ng/L);
- Systolic blood pressure (SBP) greater than or equal to 110 and less than or equal to 180 mmHg;
- Serum Potassium greater than or equal to 3.5 mEq/L (3.5 mmol/L) and less than or equal to 6.0 mEq/L (6.0 mmol/L);
- Subjects on a maximum tolerated labeled daily dose (MTLDD) of a RAS inhibitor for greater than or equal to 4 weeks and on a diuretic at the time of screening and who satisfy the above criteria may proceed to the last visit in Run-In Period(R6);
- Subjects already on a MTLDD of a RAS inhibitor for greater than or equal to 4 weeks and not on a diuretic (unless medically contraindicated) at the time of Screening will start with a diuretic and proceed to Run-In for at least 2 weeks.
- For entry into the Enrichment Period the subject must satisfy the following criteria based on the last visit of the Run-In Period:
- RAS inhibitor at the MTLDD for the previous 4 weeks with no adjustments of the dose;
- Subjects that were on a MTLDD RAS inhibitor and not on a diuretic (unless medically contraindicated) at the time of Screening must have been in Run-In for at least 2 weeks.
- For entry into the Double-Blind Treatment Period, the subject must satisfy the following criteria based on the last visit of the Enrichment Period:
- RAS inhibitor at the MTLDD for the previous 6 weeks during the Enrichment Period with no adjustments of the dose;
- Diuretic at any dose unless medically contraindicated or clinically intolerable in the investigator's judgement (i.e., hypotension or hypokalemia);
- Subject must not have a weight change greater than or equal to 3 kg from the beginning of Enrichment to the end of the Enrichment Period and absolute serum BNP greater than or equal to 300 pg/mL (300 ng/L) at the last Enrichment visit;
- Subject must not have an increase in serum creatinine greater than 0.5 mg/dL and greater than 20% increase from the beginning of Enrichment to the end of the Enrichment Period.
You CAN'T join if...
- Subject has a history of severe peripheral edema or facial edema requiring diuretics unrelated to trauma or a history of myxedema in the prior 4 weeks to the initial Screening S1 visit.
- Subject has a history of pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary fibrosis or any lung diseases requiring oxygen therapy (e.g., chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,emphysema).
- Subject has a documented diagnosis of heart failure, previous hospitalization for heart failure or current or constellation of symptoms (dyspnea on exertion, pedal edema, orthopnea, paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea) felt to be compatible with heart failure, that was not explained by other causes, and for which there was a change in medication or other management directed at heart failure.
- Subject has known non-diabetic kidney disease (other than kidney stones).
- University of California, San Francisco GH /ID# 105439 accepting new patients
San Francisco, California, 94110, United States
- Sierra View Nephrology Inc /ID# 105576 accepting new patients
Porterville, California, 93257, United States
- Capital Nephrology Medical Group /ID# 104900 accepting new patients
Sacramento, California, 95825, United States
- Central Coast Nephrology /ID# 144669 accepting new patients
Salinas, California, 93901, United States
- National Institute of Clinical Research /ID# 114816 accepting new patients
Bakersfield, California, 93309, United States
- Sansum Clinic /ID# 96640 accepting new patients
Santa Barbara, California, 93110, United States
- Sierra Nevada Nephrology Consultants /ID# 104910 accepting new patients
Reno, Nevada, 89511, United States
- Facey Medical Foundation /ID# 96704 completed
Mission Hills, California, 91345, United States
- Providence Clinical Research /ID# 102095 accepting new patients
North Hollywood, California, 91606, United States
- California Renal Research Network, LLC /ID# 118555 accepting new patients
Glendale, California, 91204, United States
- UCLA /Id# 145915 accepting new patients
Los Angeles, California, 90025, United States
- Axis Clinical Trials /ID# 99397 accepting new patients
Los Angeles, California, 90036, United States
- National Research Institute /ID# 104915 accepting new patients
Los Angeles, California, 90057, United States
- Dr. Lakhi M. Sakhrani, Alhambra, CA. /ID# 99948 accepting new patients
Alhambra, California, 91801, United States
- North America Research Institute /ID# 96605 accepting new patients
Azusa, California, 91702, United States
- Academic Medical Research Institute /ID# 96596 accepting new patients
Los Angeles, California, 90022, United States
- North America Research Institute /ID# 101579 accepting new patients
San Dimas, California, 91773, United States
- Dr. Ambrose Y. Tsang, Downey, CA /ID# 105566 accepting new patients
Downey, California, 90241, United States
- Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center /ID# 147127 accepting new patients
Downey, California, 90242, United States
- Mohammed Ismail, MD, Inc. /ID# 110415 accepting new patients
Paramount, California, 90723, United States
- Lucita M. Cruz MD /ID# 105199 accepting new patients
Norwalk, California, 90650, United States
- St. Jude Hospital /ID# 101476 accepting new patients
Fullerton, California, 92835, United States
- VA Long Beach Healthcare System /ID# 123260 accepting new patients
Long Beach, California, 90822, United States
- Inland Empire Liver Foundation /ID# 144258 accepting new patients
Rialto, California, 92377, United States
- TRIMED Clinical Trials /ID# 105498 withdrawn
Corona, California, 92880, United States
- Diabetes Associates Medical Group /ID# 107200 accepting new patients
Orange, California, 92868, United States
- APEX Research of Riverside /ID# 107455 accepting new patients
Riverside, California, 92505, United States
- VA Loma Linda Healthcare System /ID# 148928 accepting new patients
Loma Linda, California, 92357, United States
- Palm Research Center, Inc. /ID# 105501 accepting new patients
Las Vegas, Nevada, 89148, United States
- Nevada Kidney Disease and Hypertension Center aka NKDHC /ID# 112900 accepting new patients
Las Vegas, Nevada, 89115, United States
- Desert Medical Group, Inc. /ID# 96702 accepting new patients
Palm Springs, California, 92262, United States
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT01858532.