CED With Irinotecan Liposome Injection Using Real Time Imaging in Children With DIPG
a study on Glioma
This is a Phase I and Early Efficacy Study of Convection Enhanced Delivery (CED) of irinotecan liposome injection (nal-IRI) Using Real Time Imaging with Gadolinium in Children with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma who have completed focal radiotherapy
A Phase I and Early Efficacy Study of Convection Enhanced Delivery of Irinotecan Liposome Injection Using Real Time Imaging With Gadolinium in Children With Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma
This study will assess the safety and tolerability of repeated administration of nal-IRI co-infused with gadoteridol given by intratumoral CED in children with newly diagnosed DIPG.
Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma DIPG CED glioma Irinotecan Camptothecin
You can join if…
Open to people ages 3–39
- Patients with newly diagnosed DIPG who have completed focal radiotherapy are eligible. Patients with disseminated disease are not eligible, and MRI of the spine must be performed if disseminated disease is suspected by the treating physician.
- Treatment must begin at a minimum of 28 days after but no later than 42 days of the date of the completion of radiotherapy.
- Prior Chemotherapy: No prior experimental chemotherapy is allowed. If a subject received chemotherapy during radiation, the subject needs to be discussed with the study chair(s). The use of temolzolomide is allowed at standard pediatric dosing during radiation therapy. All other therapies need to be discussed with the study chair.
- Prior Radiation: Patients must have received prior treatment with focal radiotherapy as part of initial treatment for DIPG and had their last dose at least 28 days prior to and no later than 42 days from the first CED treatment with liposomal-irinotecan.
- Age ≥ 3 and < 39 years of age.
- Karnofsky ≥ 50 for patients> 16 years of age and Lansky ≥ 50 for patients 16 years of age and younger. Patients who are unable to walk because of paralysis, but who are up in a wheelchair, will be considered ambulatory for the purpose of assessing the performance score.
- Life expectancy of greater than 12 weeks measured from the date of completion of radiotherapy.
- Corticosteroids: Patients who are receiving dexamethasone must be on a stable or decreasing dose for at least 1 week prior to registration.
- Organ Function Requirements
- Adequate Bone Marrow Function Defined as:Peripheral absolute neutrophil count(ANC) ≥1000/mm3 and platelet count ≥ 100,000/mm3 (transfusion independent,defined as not receiving platelet transfusions for at least 7 days prior to enrollment) and normal coagulation defined as normal INR or per institutional guidelines.
- Adequate Renal Function Defined as:
- Creatinine clearance or radioisotope GFR ≥ 70mL/min/1.73 m2 or
A serum creatinine based on age/gender as follows:
Age Maximum Serum Creatinine (mg/dL) Male Female 3 to < 6 years 0.8 0.8 6 to < 10 years 1 1 10 to < 13 years 1.2 1.2 13 to < 16 years 1.5 1.4
≥ 16 years 1.7 1.4
- Adequate Liver Function Defined as: Bilirubin (sum of conjugated + unconjugated) less than or equal to 1.5 x upper limit of normal (ULN) for age and SGPT (ALT) less than or equal to 110 U/L. and Serum albumin ≥ 2 g/dL.
- Adequate Neurologic Function Defined as: Patients with seizure disorder may be enrolled if on non-enzyme inducing anticonvulsants and well controlled.
- The effects of irinotecan liposome injection on the developing human fetus are unknown. For this reason women of child-bearing potential and men must agree to use adequate contraception (hormonal or barrier method of birth control;abstinence) prior to study entry, for the duration of study participation and 4 months after completion of irinotecan liposome injection administration. Should a woman become pregnant or suspect she is pregnant while she or her partner is participating in this study, she should inform her treating physician immediately.
- Ability to understand and the willingness to sign a written informed consent document.
You CAN'T join if...
- Patients who have had prior experimental chemotherapy.
- Patients who are receiving any other investigational agents.
- History of allergic reactions attributed to compounds of similar chemical or biologic composition to irinotecan, topotecan, gadolinium, or lipids.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements.
- Female patients of childbearing potential must not be pregnant or breast-feeding.Female patients of childbearing potential must have a negative serum or urine pregnancy test within 7 days of registration.
- Patients with inability to return for follow-up visits or obtain follow-up studies required to assess toxicity to therapy.
- Patients with MRI or clinical evidence of uncontrolled tumor mass effect are excluded;the assessment of mass effect should be made by the study chair and study neurosurgeon prior to any planned CED treatment.
- Leptomeningeal or subarachnoid disseminated disease.
- Patients with evidence of hemorrhage (besides what is expected if a patient underwent a biopsy). These subjects should be discussed with the study chair.
- Patients with evidence of cystic changes greater than 1 cm in diameter will be excluded. These subjects should be discussed with the study chair.
- Patients must not be on enzyme-inducing anticonvulsants or other drugs that might interact with the cytochrome P450 enzyme system. If previously on an EIAED, patient must be off for at least 10 days prior to CED infusion.
- UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center accepting new patients
San Francisco, California, 94158, United States
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT03086616.