Phase Ib/II Study of PLX 3397 and Eribulin in Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer
a study on Breast Cancer
The purpose of the Phase 1b portion of the study is to determine the best dose of PLX3397 when given in combination with standard dose eribulin (Halaven™). The purpose of the Phase 2 portion of the study is to find out what effects, good and/or bad, these drugs have on patients and their metastatic breast cancer.
Enhancing Efficacy of Chemotherapy in Triple Negative/Basal-Like Breast Cancer by Targeting Macrophages: A Multicenter Phase Ib/II Study of PLX 3397 and Eribulin in Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer
This is a nonrandomized, open label phase Ib/II study evaluating the safety and efficacy of eribulin in combination with PLX3397, a novel CSF1 inhibitor, in patients with metastatic breast cancer. The phase II portion of this trial will be limited to patients with triple negative disease.
The phase I portion of this trial is a dose escalation of PLX3397 to determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of PLX3397 when given in combination with standard dose eribulin. Patients will be enrolled in cohorts of three, using the dose levels and plan outlined in the statistical section, with 6 patients enrolled at the MTD. All patients with accessible tumor will be required to have a tumor biopsy at study start before starting therapy. Pharmacokinetics of PLX3397 and eribulin, and blood levels of CSF1 will be obtained as outlined in section 14. To allow rapid accrual to phase Ib, and an earlier start to the phase II trial, patients will be enrolled in phase I with both hormone receptor positive and negative disease, and at any line of therapy assuming eligibility criteria are otherwise met.
Dose limiting toxicity (DLT) will be defined as any treatment-related toxicity meeting the criteria below and occurring within the first 21 days of combination therapy. Patients must receive at least 14 days of PLX3397 and 2 doses of eribulin during the first cycle in order to be considered evaluable for DLT (unless the missed doses are due to a DLT).
Patients in each cohort will be followed for at least 3 weeks (one full cycle) before opening accrual to the next dose level. If one patient in any cohort develops a DLT, an additional 3 patients will be enrolled at that level. If no additional toxicities occur in the six patients, then this particular dose would be used for the phase II trial, and the next higher dose would be considered the MTD. A minimum of 12 and maximum of 24 patients will be enrolled in the phase I study. The phase II trial will not open until the last patient in the phase I study has been followed for at least 3 weeks.
The phase II portion of this trial will evaluate PFS in patients with TNBC treated with PLX3397 and eribulin, using the dose of PLX3397 determined in the phase Ib study in a two-step design. Please see the statistical section for details regarding enrollment and statistical design. Treatment is preceded by a 5 to 7 day lead-in phase, in which patients will take PLX3397 alone daily. Patients with accessible tumor will undergo a core biopsy of tumor before the start of PLX3397 treatment, and then a fine needle aspiration or core biopsy will be performed on the day of or the day before the start of eribulin (day -1 to day 0).
Metastatic Breast Cancer metastatic breast cancer triple negative PLX Eribulin Breast Neoplasms PLX3397
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Pathologically confirmed diagnosis of breast cancer with documented progressive disease.
- Patients with stable brain metastases are eligible for this trial.
- At least one prior chemotherapy regimen for metastatic breast cancer. Prior treatment must be discontinued at least 2 weeks before treatment start.
- Concomitant therapy with bisphosphonates is allowed.
- Stable dose coumadin anticoagulation is allowed, providing that anticoagulation can be safely held to an INR within normal range for the purpose of tumor biopsy. LMWH is the preferred method of anticoagulation.
- PT/INR and PTT within institutional normal limits within two weeks before initial biopsy.
- Measurable disease, as defined by RECIST guidelines or evaluable disease. Bone metastases must be evaluable.
- Disease amenable to core biopsy. Patients with pulmonary metastases as their only site of disease may enroll on this trial and will not undergo biopsy.
- For Phase I: patients with HER2 overexpressing disease must have been previously treated with trastuzumab. Patients with HER2 overexpressing disease are not eligible for the Phase II trial.
- Age eighteen years or older.
- ECOG performance status </= 2.
- Life expectancy of >/= 12 weeks.
- Patients with < grade 1 peripheral neuropathy are eligible for this trial.
- Adequate bone marrow reserve: ANC >/= 1000, platelets >/= 100,000.
- Adequate renal function: serum creatinine </= 1.5x upper limit of normal OR calculated creatinine clearance ≥ 50 ml/min.
- Sodium, potassium, and chloride levels within institutional normal limits.
- Adequate hepatic function: AST and ALT </= 2.5 x ULN, and total bilirubin </= 1.5x upper limit of normal. In patients with liver dysfunction due to hepatic metastases,AST and ALT are permitted to be </= 5 times the ULN.
- At baseline: EF ≥ 50%, no evidence of QT prolongation, no history of congenital long QT syndrome, and no use of drugs known to increase the risk of Torsades de Point - patients may be eligible for study if the drug can be changed to another agent with less risk (such as changing from citalopram to an alternate antidepressant).
- Able to take oral medications and maintain hydration.
- Ability to give written informed consent and willingness to comply with the requirements of the protocol
- Women of child-bearing potential must agree to use an effective method of birth control during treatment and for six months after receiving their last dose of study drug
Specific inclusion criteria for Phase II
• Patients enrolling on the phase II portion of this trial must have ER, PR and HER2 negative disease defined as less than 10% staining for ER and PR, and HER2 not amplified by FISH, 0-1% by IHC, or 2+ by IHC and no evidence of amplification by FISH.
You CAN'T join if...
- Treatment with another chemotherapy or hormonal therapy within the past 2 weeks.
- Treatment with trastuzumab, bevacizumab or other targeted therapies within the past 2 weeks.
- Concurrent treatment with radiotherapy.
- Ongoing treatment with any other investigational therapy.
- Prior treatment with eribulin
- Severe, concurrent illness including congestive heart failure, significant cardiac disease and uncontrolled hypertension, that would likely prevent the patient from being able to comply with the study protocol.
- Inadequate bone marrow, renal, or hepatic function as defined above, or an active coagulopathy that precludes tissue biopsy.
- Pregnant or lactating women and women of child-bearing potential who are not using an effective method of birth control. Women of childbearing potential must undergo a serum pregnancy test within seven days of starting the study drug.
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center
San Francisco California 94115 United States
- Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
Nashville Tennessee 37232 United States
- Duke University Cancer Center
Durham North Carolina 27710 United States