Phase III FOLFIRINOX (mFFX) +/- SBRT in Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer
a study on Pancreatic Cancer
The goal of this study is to determine the safety and efficacy of a chemotherapy regimen known as Modified FOLFIRINOX (mFFX) alone or with the addition of Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT). We hope to learn if this new treatment combination helps to control the disease and improve survival for patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer.
A Randomized Phase III Study Evaluating Modified FOLFIRINOX (mFFX) With or Without Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) in the Treatment of Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer
A Pancreatic Cancer Radiotherapy Study Group (PanCRS) Trial
To determine progression free survival for mFFX +/- SBRT.
- To determine metastasis free survival following mFFX chemotherapy alone or with SBRT.
- To determine the overall survival in pancreatic cancer patients treated with chemotherapy +/- SBRT.
- To determine local progression-free survival in pancreatic cancer patients after chemotherapy +/- SBRT.
- To evaluate acute (within 3 months of treatment) grade 2 or greater gastritis, fistula, enteritis, or ulcer and any other grade 3-4 gastrointestinal toxicity within 3 months of treatment.
- To evaluate the utility of FDG-PET for treatment planning and estimation of progression free survival.
- To identify new biomarkers in pancreatic cancer.
- To evaluate the quality of life of patients before and after either chemotherapy or chemotherapy and SBRT.
Pancreatic Cancer Pancreatic Neoplasms Oxaliplatin Irinotecan SBRT Leucovorin 5FU mFFX mFFX+SBRT
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Histologically confirmed adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.
- Induction mFolfirinox up to 4 cycles. Informed consent must be signed by the end of the second cycle.
- Stable or better disease on re-staging scans.
- Determined unresectable by a pancreatic cancer surgeon or a multi-disciplinary or gastrointestinal oncology Tumor Board.
- Typically, pancreatic tumors must be less than 8.0 cm in greatest axial dimension at the time of treatment planning but final determination of eligibility will be based upon satisfying the radiation normal tissue constraints as per protocol.
- ECOG 0, 1, or 2
- Patients must have acceptable organ and marrow function as defined below and within 30 days of eligibility confirmation:
- leukocytes (WBC) >=3,000/mL
- absolute neutrophil count (ANC)>=1,500mL
- platelets >=50,000/mL
- total bilirubin < or = 1.5 X institutional upper limit of normal
- AST(SGOT)/ALT(SGPT) < or =2.5 X institutional upper limit of normal
- creatinine within normal institutional limits
- Ability to understand and the willingness to sign an informed consent form.
- Life expectancy > 6 months.
You CAN'T join if...
- Metastatic disease
- Patients who have had prior radiotherapy to the upper abdomen/liver.
- Patients who have received chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer, other than up to 4 cycles of mFolfirinox.
- Children are excluded because pancreatic tumors rarely occur in this age group.Furthermore, treatment requires a great deal of patient cooperation including the ability to lie still for several hours in an isolated room.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active infection (or infections requiring systemic antibiotic treatment), symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements.
- Any concurrent malignancy other than non-melanoma skin cancer, non-invasive bladder cancer, or carcinoma in situ of the cervix. Patients with a previous malignancy without evidence of disease for > 5 years will be allowed to enter the trial.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women are excluded; as well as women of child-bearing potential who are unwilling or unable to use an acceptable method of birth control(hormonal or barrier method of birth control; abstinence) to avoid pregnancy for the duration of the study. Male subjects must also agree to use effective contraception for the same period as above. Should a woman become pregnant or suspect she is pregnant while participating in this study, she should inform her treating physician immediately.
- Women who are not post-menopausal (as defined in Appendix III) and have a positive urine or serum pregnancy test or refuse to take a pregnancy test
- Stanford University, School of Medicine accepting new patients
Stanford California 94305 United States
- BC Cancer Agency accepting new patients
Vancouver British Columbia V5Z 4E6 Canada
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center accepting new patients
Dallas Texas 75390 United States
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT01926197.