A Trial of Two Fixed Doses of ZX008 (Fenfluramine HCl) in Children and Young Adults With Dravet Syndrome
This is a multicenter, double-blind, parallel-group, placebo-controlled, study to assess the efficacy, safety, and PK of ZX008 when used as adjunctive therapy for uncontrolled seizures in pediatric and young adult subjects with Dravet syndrome. After an initial Screening and Baseline charting of seizure frequency, subjects who qualify for the study will be randomized (1:1:1) to receive either ZX008 (0.2 mg/kg/day, 0.8 mg/kg/day; maximum dose: 30 mg/day) or placebo. Randomization will be stratified by age group (< 6 years, ≥6 to 18 years). All subjects will be titrated to their randomized dose over a 14-day Titration Period. Following titration, subjects will continue treatment at their randomly assigned dose over a 12-week Maintenance Period. Subjects exiting the study will undergo a 2-week taper, unless they enroll in a follow-on study. Subjects will be followed for post-study safety monitoring. Parents/caregivers will use a diary daily to record the number/type of seizures, dosing, and use of rescue medication.
A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind, Parallel Group, Placebo-controlled Trial of Two Fixed Doses of ZX008 (Fenfluramine Hydrochloride) Oral Solution as an Adjunctive Therapy in Children and Young Adults With Dravet Syndrome
Dravet Syndrome Seizure Disorder seizure tonic-atonic clonic epilepsy myoclonic encephalopathy Pharmaceutical Solutions Fenfluramine
For people ages 2–18
Key Inclusion Criteria:
- Male or non-pregnant, non-lactating female, age 2 to 18 years, inclusive as of the day of the Screening Visit.
- Clinical diagnosis of Dravet syndrome, where convulsive seizures are not completely controlled by current antiepileptic drugs.
- Must have a minimum # of convulsive seizures per 4-week period for past 12 weeks prior to screening
- All medications or interventions for epilepsy must be stable for at least 4 weeks prior to screening and expected to remain stable throughout the study.
- No cardiovascular or cardiopulmonary abnormality based on ECHO, ECG or physical examination
- Parent/caregiver is willing and able to be compliant with diary completion, visit schedule and study drug accountability.
Key Exclusion Criteria:
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Current or past history of cardiovascular or cerebrovascular disease, such as cardiac valvulopathy, myocardial infarction or stroke.
- Current or past history of glaucoma.
- Moderate or severe hepatic impairment.
- Receiving concomitant therapy with: anorectic agents; monoamine-oxidase inhibitors;medications that act via serotonin including serotonin reuptake inhibitors;atomoxetine, or other centrally-acting noradrenergic agonist; or cyproheptadine.
- Currently receiving or has received stiripentol in the past 21 days prior to Screening.
- Currently taking carbamazepine, oxcarbamazepine, eslicarbazepine, phenobarbital, or phenytoin, or has taken any of these within the past 30 days.
- Positive result on tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or cannabidiol (CBD) test at the Screening Visit.
- A clinically significant medical condition,that would interfere with study participation, collection of study data, or pose a risk to the subject.
- University of California San Francisco accepting new patients
San Francisco, California, 94143, United States
- Rady Children's Hospital San Diego accepting new patients
San Diego, California, 92123, United States
- Phoenix Children's accepting new patients
Phoenix, Arizona, 85016, United States
- University of Utah accepting new patients
Salt Lake City, Utah, 84113, United States
- Center for Neurosciences - Tucson accepting new patients
Tucson, Arizona, 85718, United States
- MultiCare Institute for Research & Innovation accepting new patients
Tacoma, Washington, 98405, United States
- Swedish Epilepsy Center accepting new patients
Seattle, Washington, 98122, United States
- Seattle Children's Hospital accepting new patients
Seattle, Washington, 98105, United States
- British Columbia Children's Hospital BCCH accepting new patients
British Columbia, V6H3V4, Canada
- The Children's Hospital Colorado accepting new patients
Aurora, Colorado, 80045, United States
- Alberta Children's Hospital Childrens Comprehensive Epilepsy Centre not yet accepting patients
Calgary, Alberta, T3B6A8, Canada
- Cook Children's Medical Center accepting new patients
Fort Worth, Texas, 76087, United States
- Mayo Clinic accepting new patients
Rochester, Minnesota, 55905, United States
- Arkansas Children's Research Institute not yet accepting patients
Little Rock, Arkansas, 72202, United States
- Children's Hospital of Chicago accepting new patients
Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
- NW FL Clinical Research Group, LLC accepting new patients
Gulf Breeze, Florida, 32561, United States
- Panda Neurology accepting new patients
Atlanta, Georgia, 30328, United States
- OnSite Clinical Solutions, LLC accepting new patients
Charlotte, North Carolina, 28203, United States
- Neurology and Epilepsy Research Center accepting new patients
Orlando, Florida, 32819, United States
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia accepting new patients
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104, United States
- Miami Children's Hospital Brain Institute accepting new patients
Miami, Florida, 33155, United States
- Saint Barnabas Medical Center accepting new patients
Livingston, New Jersey, 07039, United States
- Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Sainte-Justine accepting new patients
Quebec, H3T 1C5, Canada
- Northeast Regional Epilepsy Group accepting new patients
Hackensack, New Jersey, 07601, United States
- Boston Children's Hospital accepting new patients
Boston, Massachusetts, 02467, United States
- Massachusetts General Hospital accepting new patients
Boston, Massachusetts, 02114, United States
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT02682927.