Study to Assess MEDI4736 With Either AZD9150 or AZD5069 in Advanced Solid Tumors & Relapsed Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Head & Neck
This multicentre, open-label, Phase 1b/2 study is designed as a 2 part study consisting of a dose-escalation, safety run-in Part A and a dose-expansion Part B
A Phase 1b/2, Open-Label, Multicentre Study Assessing the Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics, and Preliminary Anti-tumor Activity of MEDI4736 in Combination With AZD9150 or AZD5069 in Patients With Advanced Solid Malignancies and Subsequently Comparing AZD9150 and AZD5069 Both as Monotherapy and in Combination With MEDI4736 as Second Line Treatment in Patients With Recurrent and/or Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck
The dose-escalation Part A of this study will involve patients with advanced solid malignancies refractory to standard therapy or for which no standard of care regimen currently exists. Approximately 30 evaluable patients per treatment arm (A1 or A2) will be enrolled. A3 will test viability of alternate dosing schedule for AZD5069, A4/A5 will evaluate AZD9150/AZD5069 in fixed dose combination with MEDI4736 and tremelimumab in solid tumors. there may also be safety run in cohorts enrolled (A6/A7) in specific solid tumor types (breast and prostate cancer).
Once the maximum tolerated doses (MTDs) for each of the 2 agents (AZD9150/AZD5069)in combination with MEDI4736 have been identified or the maximum doses of each of the 2 agents in combination with MEDI4736 have been reached, the dose expansion Part B of the study would commence. It will be conducted in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic (RM) squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN). Between 68 and 266 eligible patients will be enrolled and will randomly assigned to 1 of the following 6 treatment arms or non randomized arm B7:
- Treatment arm B1: AZD9150 in combination with MEDI4736 in patients with prior exposure to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies
- Treatment arm B2: AZD5069 in combination with MEDI4736 in patients with prior exposure to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies
- Treatment arm B3: AZD9150 in combination with MEDI4736 in patients with no prior exposure to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies (2L RM SCCHN)
- Treatment arm B4: AZD5069 in combination with MEDI4736 in patients with no prior exposure to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies
- Treatment arm B5: AZD9150 alone in patients with no prior exposure to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies
- Treatment arm B6: AZD5069 alone in patients with no prior exposure to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies
- Treatment arm B7: (non randomized): AZD9150 in combination with MEDI4736 in patients with no prior exposure to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies (1L RM SCCHN)
- Treatment arm B8: (non randomized): AZD9150 (every two weeks) in combination with MEDI4736 in patients with no prior exposure to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies (1L RM SCCHN)
Advanced Solid Tumors & Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and NeckCarcinoma of the Head and NeckCarcinomaCarcinoma, Squamous CellSquamous Cell Carcinoma of Head and NeckDurvalumabTremelimumabAntibodies, MonoclonalAZD9150MEDI4736AZD5069tremelimumab (treme)
For people ages 18-130
Key Inclusion Criteria:
- Male and female patients must be at least 18 years of age.
- Has an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) PS score of 0 or 1.
- Has measurable disease, defined as at least 1 lesion that can be accurately measured in at least 1 dimension (longest diameter to be recorded) with a minimum size of 10 mm by computerised tomography (CT) scan, except lymph nodes which must have minimum short axis size of 15 mm (CT scan slice thickness no greater than 5 mm in both cases). Indicator lesions must not have been previously treated with surgery, radiation therapy, or radiofrequency ablation unless there is documented progression after therapy.
- Has undergone ≤3 previous regimens (depending on treatment arm) of cytoreductive therapies including, but not limited to, platinum-based compounds, taxanes, or 5-fluorouracil. for B7 & B8, no prior systemic treatments should have been received for RM SCCHN
- Adequate organ and marrow function
- Female subjects of childbearing potential and male subjects with partners of childbearing potential should ensure use of a highly effective method of birth control as defined in study protocol
- Additional inclusion for part A: Has a histological confirmation of a solid malignancy (other than HCC) that is refractory to standard therapy or for which no standard of care regimen currently exists.
- Addition inclusion for Part A (A6) Has a histological confirmation of castrate-resistant prostate cancer
- Additional inclusion for Part B:Has histologically and/or cytologically confirmed SCCHN that is RM and not amendable to curative therapy by surgery or radiation. Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck originating from the following sites is eligible: oral cavity, oropharynx, larynx, or hypopharynx. Has at least 1 SCCHN tumour lesion (TL) amenable to biopsy and must have failed, refused, or has been found to be ineligible for least 1 prior platinum-based chemotherapy for RM-SCCHN Additional inclusion criteria for Arms B1 & B2: must have had prior exposure to anti PDL-1 antibody
- Arms B1-B6: Has undergone 1-3 previous regimens of cytoreductive chemo-therapies Arm
B7 & B8: with no prior exposure to anti-PD-(L)1 therapies and have received no prior systemic treatment for RM SCCHN
Key Exclusion Criteria:
- Spinal cord compression unless asymptomatic and not requiring steroids for at least 4 weeks before the start of study treatment. - Presently has a second malignancy other than SCCHN, or history of treatment for invasive cancer other than SCCHN in the past 3 years.
Exceptions are: Previously treated in-situ carcinoma (ie, noninvasive) Cervical carcinoma stage 1B or less Noninvasive basal cell and squamous cell skin carcinoma Radically treated prostate cancer (prostatectomy or radiotherapy) with normal prostate-specific antigen, and not requiring ongoing antiandrogen hormonal therapy
- Patients must have completed any previous cancer-related treatments before enrolment. Any concurrent chemotherapy [Chemotherapy washout within 21 days or 5 half-lives (whichever is shorter) from enrolment], radiotherapy, immunotherapy, or biologic, or hormonal therapy for cancer excludes the patient (concurrent use of hormones for noncancer-related conditions [eg, insulin for diabetes and hormone replacement therapy] is acceptable),
- Experiencing CTCAE grade >1 events, experienced immune-related grade ≥3AEs with prior immunotherapy
- Has active or prior autoimmune disease within the past 2 years
- Has active or prior inflammatory bowel disease or primary immunodeficiency
- Undergone an organ transplant that requires use of immunosuppressive treatment
- Abnormalities in rhythm, conduction or morphology of resting 12-lead ECG
- uncontrolled comorbid conditions
- Received a live attenuated vaccine within 30 days of first study dose, unable to take oral medications
- History of allergic reactions to study compounds or excepients Additional exclusion criteria Part A: Patients with clinically active brain metastases and prior exposure to AZD9150, AZD5069, MEDI4736, or any other anti PD (L)1 antibody.
Additional exclusion criteria Part B: Patients with brain metastases (known or suspected)
Additional exclusion criteria Part B: treatment arms B3, B4, B5, B6, B7 and B8: prior exposure to AZD9150, AZD5069, MEDI4736, or any other anti PD (L)1 antibody.
- Research Site
accepting new patients
San FranciscoCalifornia94158United States
- Research Site
accepting new patients
Los AngelesCalifornia90095United States
Lead Scientist at UCSF
- Alain Algazi
Authored (or co-authored) 41 research publications
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Phase 1/2
- Study Type
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT02499328.