Cognitive Training Delivered Remotely to Individuals With Psychosis (ROAM)
Primary study: This study is a single-site, double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trial to compare an evidence-based structured program of 30-35 hours of on-line cognitive and social cognitive training exercises performed over 16 weeks (~2 hours per week), delivered with an innovative digital app which provides users with a motivation coach to set personalized goals and with secure social networking for peer support, "PRIME" ; vs. 2) A control condition of computer games, encouraged at ~2 hours per week over 16 weeks, delivered with "PRIME". Unblinded Cognitive Training Sub-Study: Participants who were randomized to the computer games arm of the trial may be offered access to the active cognitive training at the end of their 6 month follow up appointments, if they still meet inclusion criteria. PRIME Super Users Sub-Study: Participants who have provided all follow up data to the initial study, including those who are currently enrolled in the Unblinded Cognitive Training sub-study, may be offered continued participation in the PRIME community as super-users.
Cognitive Training Delivered Remotely to Individuals With Psychosis
The purpose of this study is to use remote methods and scalable interactive neurotechnology to generate important data on the potential for remote targeted cognitive treatment in people with psychosis. We will perform a double-blind RCT in 120 participants with psychosis, comparing: 1) An evidence-based structured program of 30-35 hours of on-line cognitive and social cognitive training exercises (CT) performed over 16 weeks (~2 hours per week), delivered with an innovative digital app which provides users with a motivation coach to set personalized goals and with secure social networking for peer support, "PRIME"; vs. 2) A control condition of computer games, encouraged at ~2 hours per week over 16 weeks, delivered with "PRIME" . Both conditions will be administered using personal smartphone devices and computers and all procedures will be conducted remotely, including on-line recruitment in locations all over the world. Using both per protocol and intent-to-treat analyses, we will determine clinical, cognitive, and functional effects after the intervention using operationalized assessments delivered remotely, and will determine their relationship to functional outcome measures at 6-month follow-up.
Both the active condition and the control condition will be provided through identical web portals designed for the study at no charge by Brain HQ (Posit Science, Inc.). PRIME, the personalized motivation coaching and social networking app, has been designed and developed by co-investigator Dr. Schlosser, supported by UCSF and NIMH. We will recruit a total of 204 subjects with psychosis to be stratified by age (18-40, 40-60) and education (< 14 years, >14 years) and randomly assigned to one of the two conditions.
Unblinded Cognitive Training Sub-Study:
During the debrief, participants will be asked if they would like to continue participating in the study and receive active cognitive training. If the participant agrees, they will sign a new consent form which covers the details of the next portion of the study. The data from their 6 month follow up appointment will be counted as their baseline data to reduce participant burden. They will start immediately with cognitive training and will continue through the 6 month follow up appointments, as above. Additionally, participants who enter into this study may be offered simultaneous participation in the PRIME Super Users sub-study (see below).
PRIME Super Users Sub-study:
As a super-user, PRIME members are asked to take on a peer-mentorship role in the community and maintain a certain level of activity within the application. Before offering participation in the sub-study, the study team will perform a case review to determine if PRIME would be beneficial to the individual, that they appear able to fulfill the role of a peer mentor, that they are likely to be consistently active within the community, and they are able to adhere to the PRIME code of conduct. Participants will sign informed consent before rejoining the community.
As super-users, participants will be asked to be active members within the community and to maintain activity of once a week, on average. Participants will be asked to notify study staff if they anticipate or experience any extended absences from the app for any reason so their access to the community will not be revoked. Super-users will participate in the community by making posts, sharing moments, and commenting on the posts of other community members (including ROAM participants, Super-Users, and coaches). They are encouraged to share stories from their experiences and offer advice to other users for making and achieving goals, dealing with symptoms, and improving quality of life.
Treatment Active Control Schizophrenia Psychosis Schizoaffective Disorder Psychotic Depression Psychotic Mood Disorders Psychotic Disorders Psychotic Episode Cognitive Impairment cognitive training Disease Cognitive Dysfunction Mental Disorders Mood Disorders Affective Disorders, Psychotic Structured Cognitive Training & PRIME
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18-60
for the primary study:
- SCID confirmed clinical diagnosis of the following: schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, schizophreniform disorder, psychosis NOS, major depressive disorder with psychotic features, or bipolar disorder with psychotic features.
- Good general physical health.
- Between the ages of 18 and 60 years old at the time of screening.
- Be fluent in spoken and written English, in that the participant learned to speak English before the age of 12 or is able to demonstrate fluency in conversation with study staff, or through English language exams, such as TOEFL, or English language courses
- No neurological disorder.
- Have an outpatient status of at least 1 month prior to participation.
- Been on a stable dose of psychiatric medications for at least one month prior to participation.
- Have a personal smartphone
- Have access to a computer.
- . No prior cognitive training experience within the past 3 years.
- . Pregnant women may participate in this study.
Inclusion Criteria for Unblinded Cognitive Training Sub-Study:
- Continues to meet inclusion criteria for ROAM (except for access to smart phone)
- Has completed 6 month exit interviews for ROAM
- Was randomized to the control condition (computer games) and did not receive active cognitive training.
Inclusion Criteria for the PRIME Super Users sub-study:
- Has participated in the 6 month exit interviews for ROAM
- Has shown adequate participation in PRIME during the ROAM study (e.g., active in PRIME community once a week on average)
- Has adhered to the PRIME Code of Conduct
- Is clinically stable and, in the opinion of the study staff and PRIME coaches, does not pose a risk to themselves or the PRIME community by continuing participation.
- Is capable of participating in the PRIME community independently with minimal support from study staff or PRIME coaches.
- Had a positive experience with the PRIME community and appears to be capable of positively contributing to the community.
You CAN'T join if...
for all studies:
- We will exclude participants with a history of severe substance abuse in the past 3 months determined by DSM criteria.
- Subject is unable to demostrate adequate decisional capacity, in the judgment of the consenting staff member, to make a choice about participating in the research study.
- Anyone who does not meet the aforementioned inclusion criteria.
- University of California San Francisco
accepting new patients
San Francisco California 94117 United States
- University of Minnesota, Dept of Psychiatry
accepting new patients
Minneapolis Minnesota 55454 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- University of Minnesota - Clinical and Translational Science Institute
- Study Type
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT02782442.