Effectiveness and Safety of SAR156597 in Treating Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis
a study on Systemic Sclerosis
Primary Objective: To evaluate, in comparison with placebo, the efficacy of SAR156597 administered subcutaneously for 24 weeks on skin fibrosis in patients with dcSSc. Secondary Objectives: - To evaluate the efficacy of SAR156597 compared to placebo on physical/functional disability in patients with dcSSc. - To evaluate the efficacy of SAR156597 compared to placebo on respiratory function in patients with dcSSc. - To evaluate the safety profile of SAR156597 compared to placebo in patients with dcSSc. - To evaluate the potential for immunogenicity (anti-drug antibodies [ADA] response) of SAR156597 in patients with dcSSc. - To evaluate the pharmacokinetics (PK) (trough plasma concentrations) of SAR156597 administered subcutaneously for 24 weeks.
Efficacy and Safety of SAR156597 in the Treatment of Diffuse Cutaneous Systemic Sclerosis (dcSSc): A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, 24-week, Proof of Concept Study
The total study duration per patient will be 39 weeks; consisting of a 4-week screening, a 24-week of study treatment period, and a 11-week follow-up with no study drug treatment.
Systemic Sclerosis Sclerosis Scleroderma, Systemic Scleroderma, Diffuse
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Systemic Sclerosis (SSc) according to the American College of Rheumatology/The European League against Rheumatism (ACR/EULAR) 2013 criteria.
- Diffuse cutaneous form of SSc according to Leroy's criteria.
- Able and willing to sign the written informed consent form with comprehension of its contents and comply with the requirements of the study protocol.
You CAN'T join if...
- Age <18 years of age.
- Disease duration for >36 months from time of first non-Raynaud's phenomenon manifestation.
- MRSS <10 or >35 at screening and baseline visits.
- History of vasculitis, active or in remission.
- Diagnosis of connective tissue diseases (other than SSc) or overlap syndrome (eg,polymyositis/scleroderma).
- Positive HIV serology or a known history of HIV infection, active or in remission.
- Abnormal hepatitis B and/or hepatitis C tests indicative of active or chronic infection:
- Abnormal Hepatitis B tests: Positive hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) OR positive total hepatitis B core antibody (HBcAb) with negative hepatitis B surface antibody(HBsAb) OR positive total HBcAb with positive HBsAb and presence of hepatitis B DNA(HBV DNA).
- Abnormal Hepatitis C tests: Positive anti-hepatitis C virus antibody (HCV Ab) and positive HCV RNA.
- Positive or 2 confirmed indeterminate Quantiferon-TB Gold tests at screening(regardless of prior treatment status).
- Serious infection (eg, pneumonia, pyelonephritis) within 4 weeks of screening,infection requiring hospitalization or intravenous antibiotics within 4 weeks of screening or chronic bacterial infection (eg, osteomyelitis).
- History of anaphylaxis to any biologic therapy.
- Evidence of any clinically significant, severe or unstable, acute or chronically progressive, uncontrolled infection or medical condition (eg, cerebral, cardiac,pulmonary, renal, hepatic, gastrointestinal or neurologic other than SSc or SSc-interstitial lung disease) or previous, active or pending surgical disorder, or any condition that may affect patient safety in the judgment of the Investigator.
- At screening, the % predicted forced vital capacity (FVC) is ≤75% AND % predicted carbon monoxide diffusing lung capacity (DLCO) after hemoglobin correction is ≤40%
- History of heart failure (including acutely decompensated in the setting of preserved ejection fraction), left ventricular ejection fraction ≤ 45%, coronary artery disease,angina, myocardial infarction, ischemic cardiomyopathy and/or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Any prior history of malignancy or active malignancy, including lymphoproliferative diseases (except successfully-treated carcinoma in-situ of the cervix, non-metastatic squamous cell carcinoma or basal cell carcinoma of the skin) within 5 years prior to baseline.
- Ischemic ECG changes (except those NOT supported by the findings of a left heart catheterization performed in the last year) and/or other clinically significant ECG findings. (All abnormal ECG finding will be reviewed and confirmed by a local cardiologist.)
- High dose steroids (>10 mg/day prednisolone equivalent); or change in steroid dose within 4 weeks prior to/during the screening period; or expected changes during the course of the study.
- Previous treatment with rituximab within 12 months prior to screening.
- Previous treatment with bone marrow transplantation, total lymphoid irradiation or ablative ultra-high dose cyclophosphamide.
- Treatment with high dose immunosuppressive drug (eg, cyclophosphamide >1 mg/kg oral/day or >750 mg IV/month; azathioprine >100 mg/day; methotrexate >15 mg/week;mycophenolate mofetil >2 g/day) within 3 months of screening or change in dose within 4 weeks prior to baseline.
- Treatment with etanercept, cyclosporine A, intravenous immunoglobulin, rapamycin,D-penicillamine, tyrosine kinase inhibitors within 4 weeks of screening or antithymocyte globulin within 6 months of screening.
- Treatment with infliximab, certolizumab, golimumab, abatacept, or adalimumab,tocilizumab within 8 weeks of screening or anakinra within 1 week of screening.
- Treatment with any investigational drug within 1 month of screening, or 5 half-lives,if known (whichever is longer).
- Abnormal laboratory tests at screening:
- Alanine transaminase or aspartate transaminase >2 times upper limit of normal range;
- Hemoglobin <11 g/100 mL for male and <10 g/100 mL for female;
Neutrophils <1500/mm3 (except <1000/mm3 for those of African descent);
Platelets <100 000/mm3;
- Creatinine ≥150 µmol/L.
- Current history of substance and/or alcohol abuse
- Any condition or circumstance that will preclude the patient from following and completing protocol requirements, in the opinion of the Investigator.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding woman
- Women who are of childbearing potential not protected by highly-effective contraceptive method(s) of birth control as (defined in the informed consent form and/or Appendix A for United Kingdom), and/or who are unwilling or unable to be tested for pregnancy.
The above information is not intended to contain all considerations relevant to a patient's potential participation in a clinical trial.
- Investigational Site Number 8400006 accepting new patients
San Francisco, California, 94143, United States
- Investigational Site Number 4840001 accepting new patients
Chihuahua, 31000, Mexico
- Investigational Site Number 4840003 accepting new patients
Monterrey, 64460, Mexico
- Investigational Site Number 8400007 accepting new patients
Houston, Texas, 77030, United States
- Investigational Site Number 4840005 accepting new patients
Guadalajara, 44158, Mexico
- Investigational Site Number 4840002 accepting new patients
Guadalajara, 44690, Mexico
- Investigational Site Number 8400004 accepting new patients
Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48109-5422, United States
- Investigational Site Number 8400002 accepting new patients
Cleveland, Ohio, 44195, United States
- Investigational Site Number 8400005 accepting new patients
Washington, District of Columbia, 20037, United States
- Investigational Site Number 8400003 accepting new patients
Baltimore, Maryland, 21287, United States
- Investigational Site Number 8400001 accepting new patients
Boston, Massachusetts, 02118, United States
- Investigational Site Number 8260001 accepting new patients
London, United Kingdom
- Investigational Site Number 6430002 accepting new patients
Kemerovo, 650000, Russian Federation
- Investigational Site Number 6430005 accepting new patients
Moscow, 115404, Russian Federation
- Investigational Site Number 6430001 accepting new patients
Moscow, 115522, Russian Federation
- Investigational Site Number 6430004 accepting new patients
Moscow, 125284, Russian Federation
- Investigational Site Number 6430003 accepting new patients
Ufa, 450005, Russian Federation
- Investigational Site Number 2330002 accepting new patients
Tallinn, 10138, Estonia
- Investigational Site Number 2330001 accepting new patients
Tallinn, 13419, Estonia
- Investigational Site Number 0560001 accepting new patients
Gent, 9000, Belgium
- Investigational Site Number 0560002 accepting new patients
Leuven, 3000, Belgium
- Investigational Site Number 2760003 accepting new patients
Bad Nauheim, 61231, Germany
- Investigational Site Number 2760001 accepting new patients
Berlin, 10117, Germany
- Investigational Site Number 2760002 accepting new patients
Köln, 50937, Germany
- Investigational Site Number 2760004 accepting new patients
Ulm, 89081, Germany
- Investigational Site Number 2500001 accepting new patients
Lille, 59037, France
- Investigational Site Number 2500003 accepting new patients
Montpellier, 34295, France
- Investigational Site Number 2500004 accepting new patients
Paris Cedex 14, 75679, France
- Investigational Site Number 2500002 accepting new patients
Strasbourg Cedex, 67098, France
- Investigational Site Number 6160001 accepting new patients
Poznan, 61-397, Poland
- Investigational Site Number 6160002 accepting new patients
Warszawa, 02-691, Poland
- Investigational Site Number 6160003 accepting new patients
Wroclaw, 52-416, Poland
- Investigational Site Number 0400001 accepting new patients
Wien, 1090, Austria
- Investigational Site Number 0320003 accepting new patients
Buenos Aires, C1015ABO, Argentina
- Investigational Site Number 0320002 accepting new patients
Caba, C1181ACH, Argentina
- Investigational Site Number 0320005 accepting new patients
Capital Federal, C1280AEB, Argentina
- Investigational Site Number 0320001 accepting new patients
San Miguel De Tucuman, T4000AXL, Argentina
- Investigational Site Number 3800002 accepting new patients
Firenze, 50139, Italy
- Investigational Site Number 3800004 accepting new patients
Genova, 16132, Italy
- Investigational Site Number 3800001 accepting new patients
Milano, 20122, Italy
- Investigational Site Number 3800005 accepting new patients
Milano, 20122, Italy
- Investigational Site Number 3800006 accepting new patients
Orbassano, 10043, Italy
- Investigational Site Number 8040001 accepting new patients
Kyiv, 02125, Ukraine
- Investigational Site Number 8040002 accepting new patients
Kyiv, 03151, Ukraine
- Investigational Site Number 8040004 accepting new patients
Kyiv, 04050, Ukraine
- Investigational Site Number 8040003 accepting new patients
Kyiv, 04070, Ukraine
- Investigational Site Number 6420003 accepting new patients
Bucharest, 011171, Romania
- Investigational Site Number 6420004 accepting new patients
Bucharest, 011171, Romania
- Investigational Site Number 6420005 accepting new patients
Bucuresti, 020475, Romania
- Investigational Site Number 6420001 accepting new patients
Cluj Napoca, 400006, Romania
- Investigational Site Number 6420002 accepting new patients
Targu Mures, 540142, Romania
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Phase 2
- Study Type
- Last Updated
- April 11, 2018
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT02921971.