Enroll -HD: A Prospective Registry Study in a Global Huntington's Disease Cohort
a study on Huntington's Disease
Enroll-HD is a longitudinal, observational, multinational study that will integrate two existing Huntington's Disease (HD) registries, REGISTRY in Europe and COHORT in North America and Australia, while also expanding to include sites in Latin America and Asia. With no end date and annual assessments, the goal of Enroll-HD is to build a large and rich database of longitudinal clinical information and biospecimens. This database will serve as a basis for future studies aimed at developing tools and biomarkers for progression and prognosis, identifying clinically relevant phenotypic characteristics, and establishing clearly defined endpoints for interventional studies.
The primary objective of Enroll-HD is to develop a comprehensive repository of prospective and systematically collected clinical research data (demography, clinical features, family history, genetic characteristics) and biological specimens (blood) from individuals with manifest HD, unaffected individuals known to carry the HD mutation or at risk of carrying the HD mutation, and control research participants (e.g., spouses, siblings or offspring of HD mutation carriers known not to carry the HD mutation). Enroll-HD is conceived as a broad-based and long-term project to maximize the efficiencies of non-clinical research and participation in clinical research. With over 200 sites in roughly 30 countries, Enroll HD will be the largest database available for HD researchers.
Huntington's Disease Huntington Disease Juvenile Huntington's Disease Registry Cohort CHDI
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Carriers: This group comprises the primary study population and consists of individuals who carry the HD gene expansion mutation.
- Controls: This group comprises the comparator study population and consists of individuals who do not carry the HD expansion mutation.
These two major categories can be further subdivided into six different subgroups of eligible individuals:
- Manifest/Motor-manifest HD: Carriers with clinical features that are regarded in the opinion of the investigator as diagnostic of HD.
- Pre-Manifest/-Motor-manifest HD: Carriers without clinical features regarded as diagnostic of HD.
- Genotype Unknown: This group includes a first or second degree relative, i.e., related by blood to a carrier, who has not undergone predictive testing for HD and therefore has an undetermined carrier status.
- Genotype Negative: This group includes a first or second degree relative, i.e.,related by blood to a carrier, who has undergone predictive testing for HD and is known not to carry the HD expansion mutation.
- Family Control: Family members or individuals not related by blood to carriers (e.g.,spouses, partners, caregivers).
- Community Controls: Individuals unrelated to HD carriers who did not grow up in a family affected by HD. Data collected from community controls will be used for generation of normative data for sub-studies.
Participant status will be captured in the study database using 2 variables: 1)
Investigator Determined Status: this will be based on clinical signs and symptoms and genotyping performed as part of medical care, and will be updated at every visit and 2)
Research Genotyping Status: this will be based on genotyping conducted as part of Enroll-HD study procedures. Based on research genotyping, participants will be reclassified under this variable from Genotype Unknown to 'Carriers' or 'Controls'. Investigators and participants will be blinded to this reclassification.
You CAN'T join if...
- Individuals who do not meet inclusion criteria,
- Individuals with choreic movement disorders in the context of a negative test for the HD gene mutation.
- For Community Controls: those individuals with a major central nervous system disorder will be excluded (e.g. stroke, Parkinson disease, Multiple Sclerosis, etc.).
Participants under 18 may be eligible to participate (if they have juvenile-onset HD).
- University of California - San Francisco accepting new patients
San Francisco California 94158 United States
- University of California - Davis accepting new patients
Sacramento California 95817 United States
- University of California - Los Angeles accepting new patients
Los Angeles California 90095 United States
- Loma Linda Medical Center terminated
Loma Linda California 92354 United States
- University of California - Irvine Medical Center accepting new patients
Irvine California 92697 United States
- Cleveland Clinic - Las Vegas accepting new patients
Las Vegas Nevada 89102 United States
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT01574053.