A Multi-Center Study of Riociguat in Patients With Sickle Cell Diseases
a study on Sickle Cell Anemia
The proposed study is a Phase 2 multi-center, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel groups study aimed to evaluate the safety, tolerability and the efficacy of riociguat compared with placebo in patients with sickle cell disease (SCD).
A Phase II Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Multi-Center Study to Assess the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of Riociguat in Patients With Sickle Cell Diseases
This randomized study involves 12 weeks of treatment with riociguat pills or placebo pills, and a follow-up period of 30 days after treatment. The dose is adjusted every 2 weeks based on systolic blood pressure (SBP) and well-being assessed at that visit. Physical examinations, vital signs, blood tests and questionnaires will be performed at 2 week intervals during the double blinded study treatment. Echocardiogram, urine testing, six-minute walk distance and questionnaires will be assessed at the beginning and end of the treatment phase.
Sickle Cell Disease SCD Riociguat Adempas Anemia, Sickle Cell
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Age ≥ 18 years
- Sickling disorder (HbSS, HbSC, HbSbeta-thalassemia, HbSD, HbSO-Arab documented by hemoglobin electrophoresis or HPLC fractionation)
- At least one of the following findings: a. Systolic blood pressure ≥ 130 mm Hg on at least two occasions at least 1 day apart (one of these may be by history), b. Macroalbuminuria as manifested by urine albumin to creatinine ratio > 300 mg/g, c. Tricuspid regurgitant velocity (TRV) > 2.9 m/sec measured by echocardiography d. NT-proBNP level ≥ 160 pg/mL e. Urinalysis protein 1 + or higher.
- Females of reproductive potential (FRP) must have a negative, pre-treatment pregnancy test. Post-menopausal women (defined as no menses for at least 1 year or post-surgical from bilateral oophorectomy) are not required to undergo a pregnancy test.
- Females of reproductive potential must agree to use reliable contraception when sexually active. Adequate contraception is defined as any combination of at least 2 effective methods of birth control, of which at least one is a physical barrier (e.g. condoms with hormonal contraception or implants or combined oral contraceptives, certain intrauterine devices). Adequate contraception is required beginning at the signing of the informed consent form until one month after the last dose of riociguat.
- Patients must be willing to provide a blood sample for DNA analysis.
You CAN'T join if...
- Pregnant or breast feeding women
- Patients with severe hepatic impairment defined as Child Pugh C
- End stage renal disease requiring dialysis
- Patients with eGFR <30 mL/min/1.73m, where GFR is estimated based on CKD-epi equation
- Patients on phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (PDE-5) (such as sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil) and nonspecific PDE inhibitors (such as dipyridamole or theophylline) or nitrates
- Patients on strong cytochrome P450 (CYP) and P-glycoprotein 1(P-gp)/BCRP inhibitors such as systemic azole antimycotics (eg: ketoconazole, itraconazole), or HIV protease inhibitors (such as ritonavir)
- Patients on St. John's Wort
- If patients are taking antihypertensive drugs, hydroxyurea, L-glutamine, crizanlizumab, or voxelotor prior to enrollment, they are excluded until the dose level is stable for at least three months
- Systolic blood pressure <95 mm Hg at Screening Visit 1 or 2 or Week 0 before randomization
- Current enrollment in an investigational new drug trial. Patients are eligible for enrollment 30 days after the last dose of an investigational drug has been received
- Evidence of qualitative urine drug test at screening for cocaine, phencyclidine (PCP), heroin, or amphetamines within three months prior to enrollment
- Patients who have recently (last six months) experienced serious bleeding from the lung or have undergone a bronchial arterial embolization procedure.
- Pulmonary hypertension associated with Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias
- Medical disorder, condition, or history that in the investigator's judgment would impair the patient's ability to participate or complete this study or render the patient to be inappropriate for enrollment
- UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland
accepting new patients
Oakland California 94609 United States
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center
accepting new patients
Memphis Tennessee 38163 United States
Lead Scientist at UCSF
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Mark Gladwin
- Phase 2
- Study Type
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT02633397.