A Study to Assess the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of BIVV003 for Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Patients With Severe Sickle Cell Disease
This is an open label, multicenter, Phase 1/2 study in approximately eight adults with severe Sickle Cell Disease (SCD). The study will evaluate the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation using BIVV003.
A Phase 1/2, Open-Label, Multicenter, Single-Arm Study to Assess the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of BIVV003 for Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Patients With Severe Sickle Cell Disease
Subject participation in this study will be approximately 120 weeks. Enrolled subjects will be asked to participate in a separate long-term follow-up study to monitor the safety and efficacy of BIVV003 treatment for a total of 15 years post-transplant.
Sickle Cell Disease Intervention: Genetic: BIVV003 Drug: Busulfan Biological: Plerixafor Phase: Phase 1/2 Anemia, Sickle Cell Busulfan JM 3100 Plerixafor BIVV003
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18-35
- Ages 18 to 35
- Confirmation of sickle cell disease (SCD) diagnosis (HbSS or HbS[beta]0 genotype)
- Severe SCD, defined as having 1 or more of the following manifestations: Clinically significant neurologic event (example [e.g.], stroke) or any neurological deficit lasting more than 24 hours; History of 2 or more episodes or Acute Chest Syndrome(ACS) in 2 years prior to informed consent (despite adequate supportive therapies such as asthma therapy); Three or more pain crises per year in 2 years prior to informed consent (requiring intravenous [IV] pain management in the outpatient or inpatient hospital setting); History of 2 or more cases or priapism with participant seeking medical care in the 2-years prior to informed consent; Regular RBC transfusion therapy in the year prior to informed consent (having received 8 or more transfusions to prevent vaso-occlusive clinical complications); and Echocardiographic finding of tricuspid valve regurgitant jet (TRJ) velocity of greater than or equal to 2.5 meter per second (m/s)
- Clinically stable to undergo stem cell mobilization and myeloablative hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT)
- Adequate physiological function, defined as the following: Karnofsky/Lansky Performance of greater than or equal to 60; Acceptable cardiac function as defined in protocol; Acceptable pulmonary function as defined in protocol; Acceptable renal function as defined in protocol; and Acceptable hepatic function as defined in protocol
- Ability to understand purpose and risks of study, provide Informed Consent Form (ICF)and authorization to use protected health information
- Completion of age-appropriate cancer screening
- Willingness to use double-barrier method of contraception through entire study period(for participants of childbearing potential)
- Willingness to receive blood transfusions
- Willingness to discontinue hydroxyurea (HU) at least 30 days prior to stem cell mobilization through Day 100 post-transplantation
You CAN'T join if...
- Previous receipt of an autologous or allogeneic HSCT or solid organ transplantation
- Previous treatment with gene therapy
- Current enrollment in an interventional study or having received an investigational drug within 30 days of study enrollment
- Pregnant or breastfeeding female
- Female or male who plans to become pregnant or impregnate a partner, respectively,during the anticipated study period
- Contraindication to plerixafor, apheresis, or busulfan
- Treatment with prohibited medication in previous 30 days
- Known allergy or hypersensitivity to plerixafor, busulfan, or investigational product excipients
- History of active malignancy within past 5 years, any history of hematologic malignancy, or a family history of a cancer predisposition syndrome (without negative result of candidate)
- Current diagnosis of uncontrolled seizures
- History of significant bleeding disorder
- Clinically significant infection
- Any major organ dysfunction involving brain, kidney, liver, lung, or heart (e.g.,congestive heart failure, pulmonary hypertension)
- Corrected QT interval of more than 500 millisecond (ms) based on screening electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Positive for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), or hepatitis C virus (HCV)
- Known to have a gamma-globin variant associated with altered oxygen affinity
- Hereditary persistence of fetal hemoglobin (HPFH) or HbF concentration of more than or equal to 20 percent (%) at screening
- Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) of less than or equal to 1,000 per microliter
- Platelet count of less than 100,000 per microliter
- History of platelet alloimmunization (precluding ability to provide transfusion support)
- Extensive Red Blood Cell (RBC) alloimmunization (precluding ability to provide transfusion support)
- Judged unsuitable for participation by investigator and/or sponsor
- UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital accepting new patients
Oakland California 94609 United States
- Karmanos Cancer Institute accepting new patients
Detroit Michigan 48201 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Bioverativ - a sanofi company
- Phase 1/2
- Study Type
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT03653247.