ONC201 in Pediatric H3 K27M Gliomas
a study on Glioma
This is a multicenter, open-label, five arm, dose escalation, phase I study of oral ONC201 in pediatric patients with newly diagnosed Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG) and recurrent/refractory H3 K27M gliomas. Arm A will define the RP2D for single agent ONC201 in pediatric patients with glioma who are positive for the H3 K27M mutation (positive testing in CLIA laboratory) and have completed at least one line of prior therapy. This will allow for recurrent patients and also patients who have not yet recurred, but have completed radiation and will inevitably recur based on prior clinical experience and the literature. Arm B will define the RP2D for ONC201 in combination with radiation in pediatric patients with newly diagnosed DIPG. Arm C will determine intratumoral drug concentrations and biomarker expression in pediatric patients with midline gliomas. Arm D will determine H3 K27M DNA levels and drug concentrations in the CSF of pediatric H3 K27M-mutant glioma patients. Arm E will determine the RP2D for single agent ONC201 administered as a liquid formulation in Ora-Sweet to patients with DIPG and/or H3 K27M glioma. All patients must be 2-12 weeks from completion of first-line radiation.
ONC201 in Newly Diagnosed Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma and Recurrent/Refractory Pediatric H3 K27M Gliomas
Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma Glioma, Malignant Glioma ONC201 ONC201 in relapsed/refractory H3 K27M glioma ONC201 in newly diagnosed DIPG Midline Glioma Biopsy H3 K27M CSF Biopsy Liquid ONC201 in relapsed/refractory H3 K27M glioma
You can join if…
Open to people ages 2-18
- 2 to less than 19 years of age.
- Patient body weight must be above the minimum necessary for the patient to receive the ONC201 dose indicated for the currently enrolling dose level. The minimum body weight ranges from 10-27.5kg depending on the dose level.
- Arm A: Patients with glioma who are positive for the H3 K27M mutation (positive testing in CLIA laboratory) and have completed at least one line of prior therapy. Evidence of progression is not required so that ONC201 may be administered to patients in the maintenance setting or to patients with recurrent disease. No more than two episodes of recurrence from radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy are allowed. Use of bevacizumab solely for treatment of radiation necrosis, pseudoprogression, or treatment effect will not be considered a recurrence. Post-mortem biopsy is required if H3 K27M status of tumor is unknown and archival tumor tissue not available.
Arm B: Patients with newly diagnosed diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma (DIPG), defined as tumors with a pontine epicenter and diffuse involvement of the pons, are eligible with or without histologic confirmation. Post-mortem biopsy is required if H3 K27M status of tumor is unknown and archival tumor tissue not available.
Arm C: Pediatric patients midline gliomas are eligible with or without histologic confirmation and must be eligible for tumor biopsy as deemed by the site Investigator.
Arm D: Pediatric patients with recurrent glioma who are positive for the H3 K27M mutation (positive testing in CLIA laboratory), have completed at least one line of prior therapy, must be willing to undergo serial lumbar puncture to obtain cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), and must be scheduled to undergo sedated MRIs. Local anesthesia for spinal tap is also allowed. No more than two prior episodes of recurrence from radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy are allowed. Use of bevacizumab solely for treatment of radiation necrosis, pseudoprogression, or treatment effect will not be considered a recurrence. Spinal tap should not be performed if treating clinician or lumbar puncture proceduralist has concern of signs of elevated intracranial pressure, including recent worsening in headache or somnolence.
Arm E: Patients with glioma who are positive for the H3 K27M mutation (positive testing in CLIA laboratory) or have diagnosed diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma (DIPG), defined as tumors with a pontine epicenter and diffuse involvement of the pons, are eligible with or without histologic confirmation. Patients must be 2-12 weeks from completion of first-line radiation.
- Karnofsky ≥ 50 for patients ≥ 16 years of age, and Lansky ≥ 50 for patients < 16 years of age.
- From the projected start of scheduled study treatment, the following time periods must have elapsed: 5 half-lives from any investigational agent, 4 weeks from cytotoxic therapy (except 23 days for temozolomide and 6 weeks from nitrosoureas), 6 weeks from antibodies, or 4 weeks (or 5 half-lives, whichever is shorter) from other anti-tumor therapies. For patients who have received radiotherapy, patients in any arm must be at least 2 weeks from the completion of local palliative radiotherapy (re-irradiation for progressive disease or upfront RT at initial diagnosis).
- Adequate organ function defined as:
- Peripheral absolute neutrophil count (ANC) ≥ 1000/mm3 and
- Platelet count ≥ 100,000/mm3 (transfusion independent, defined as not receiving platelet transfusions for at least 7 days prior to enrollment).
• Creatinine clearance or radioisotope glomerular filtration rate (GFR) ≥ 70mL/min/1.73 m2 or normal serum creatinine based on age as shown below or GFR > 70ml/min/1.73m2: Age < 5 years: 0.8 mg/dL maximum Age 5 to < 10 years: 1.0 mg/dL maximum Age 10 to < 15 years: 1.2 mg/dL maximum Age > 15 years: 1.5 mg/dL maximum
- Total Bilirubin (sum of conjugated + unconjugated) ≤ 1.5 x upper limit of institutional normal and
- SGPT (ALT) ≤ 110 U/L and
- Serum albumin ≥ 2 g/dL.
• Patients with seizure disorder may be enrolled if seizure disorder is well controlled.
- Ability to understand a written informed consent document, and the willingness to sign it. Assent will be obtained when appropriate based on the subjects age.
- All adverse events Grade > 1 related to prior therapies (chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and/or surgery) must be resolved to grade 1 or baseline, except for alopecia and sensory neuropathy Grade ≤ 2, or other Grade ≤ 2 not constituting a safety risk based on investigator's judgment, are acceptable.
- For patients post pubertal: Female patients must agree to use effective contraception during the period of the trial and for at least 90 days after completion of treatment. Male patients must be surgically sterile or must agree to use effective contraception during the period of the trial and for at least 90 days after completion of treatment. The decision of effective contraception will be based on the judgment of the principal investigator.
- . Corticosteroid dose must be stable or decreasing for at least 3 days prior to the baseline MRI scan.
- . MRI brain and entire spine MRI within 14 days prior to start of study drug for Arms A, B, C, and E. Subjects undergoing screening for Arm D must have an MRI of brain and entire spine within 3 months prior to start of study drug. Subjects in Arm D will have a baseline MRI of brain and spine with lumbar puncture after study consent is signed and other eligibility criteria are fulfilled.
- . For Arms A, B, C, and D: Ability to swallow and retain orally administered capsules.
- . Archival tumor specimen: All subjects in all arms submit at least 5 unstained slides from a tumor specimen that harbors H3 K27M mutation if archival tissue is available. For subjects in Arms A, B or E, if no archival tumor tissue is available, or if H3 K27M status of tumor is unknown, then subjects must agree to submit a post-mortem biopsy specimen. Subjects in Arm C do not require prior tumor biopsy or confirmation of the presence of the H3 K27M mutation. Subjects in Arm D must have confirmation of the presence of the H3 K27M mutation in any glioma sample prior to enrollment.
You CAN'T join if...
- For Arms A, B, D, and E: Evidence of diffuse leptomeningeal disease or evidence of CSF dissemination.
- Current or planned participation in a study of another investigational agent or using an investigational device.
- History of allergic reactions attributed to compounds of similar chemical or biologic composition to ONC201 or its excipients.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active infection or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements.
- Any known clinically significant active infection including bacterial, fungal or viral including hepatitis B (HBV), hepatitis C (HCV) or any underlying disease or in the recent past which could compromise enrollment and safety of the patient.
- Known history of cardiac arrhythmias including atrial fibrillation, tachyarrhythmias or bradycardia, unless arrhythmia is controlled and after Cardiology has cleared patient to receive ONC201. Receiving therapeutic agents known to prolong QT interval will be excluded, however the use of Zofran is permitted. History of CHF, or MI or stroke in the last 3 months will be excluded.
- Active illicit drug use or diagnosis of alcoholism.
- Known additional malignancy that is progressing or requires active treatment within 3 years of start of study drug.
- Concomitant use of potent CYP3A4/5 inhibitors during the treatment phase of the study and within 72 hours prior to starting study drug administration.
- . Concomitant use of potent CYP3A4/5 inducers, which include enzyme inducing antiepileptic drugs (EIAEDs) (see Appendix B), during the treatment phase of the study and within 2 weeks prior to starting treatment. Concurrent dexamethasone is allowed.
- UCSF, Benioff Children's Hospital
accepting new patients
San Francisco California 94158 United States
- MD Anderson Cancer Center
accepting new patients
Houston Texas 77030 United States
Lead Scientist at UCSF
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Oncoceutics, Inc.
- Phase 1
- Study Type
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT03416530.