Letermovir Versus Valganciclovir to Prevent Human Cytomegalovirus Disease in Kidney Transplant Recipients (MK-8228-002)
The primary objective of this study is to evaluate the efficacy of letermovir (LET) versus valganciclovir (VGCV) in preventing CMV disease in adult kidney transplant recipients. The primary hypotheses are that LET is non-inferior to VGCV; and if non-inferiority is demonstrated, that LET is superior to VGCV, in preventing CMV disease through 52 weeks post-transplant.
A Phase III, Randomized, Double-Blind, Active Comparator-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of MK-8228 (Letermovir) Versus Valganciclovir for the Prevention of Human Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Disease in Adult Kidney Transplant Recipients
CMV Disease Valganciclovir Acyclovir Letermovir Acyclovir (ACV)
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Have a documented negative serostatus for CMV within 180 days prior to randomization.
- Anticipate receiving a primary or secondary allograft kidney from a CMV IgG seropositive (D+) donor at the time of screening AND have received a primary or secondary allograft kidney from a documented D+ donor at the time of randomization.
- Be within 0 (i.e. day of transplantation) to 7 days (inclusive) post-kidney transplant at the time of randomization.
- Males agree to use contraception during the treatment period, and for at least 90 days after the last dose of study treatment, and refrain from donating sperm during this period.
- Female is not pregnant, not breastfeeding, and is not a woman of childbearing potential (WOCBP), OR if a WOCBP, agrees to follow the contraception guidance during the treatment period and for at least 90 days after the last dose of study treatment.
You CAN'T join if...
- Has received a previous solid organ transplant or hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT). Note: Participants who have received a prior primary allograft kidney may be enrolled, provided that all other inclusion/exclusion criteria are met.
- Is a multi-organ transplant recipient (e.g. kidney-pancreas). Double kidney transplant recipients (i.e. transplant of two kidneys from the same donor to the same recipient simultaneously) will be excluded.
- Has a history of CMV disease or suspected CMV disease within 6 months prior to randomization.
- Has suspected or known hypersensitivity to active or inactive ingredients of LET formulations, VGCV, GCV, and/or ACV formulations.
- Is on dialysis or plasmapheresis at the time of randomization. Dialysis includes hemofiltration.
- Has Child-Pugh Class C severe hepatic insufficiency at screening.
- Has both moderate hepatic insufficiency AND moderate-to-severe renal insufficiency at screening.
- Has any uncontrolled infection on the day of randomization.
- Has documented positive results for human immunodeficiency virus antibody (HIV-Ab) test at any time prior to randomization, or for hepatitis C virus antibody (HCV-Ab) and with detectable HCV ribonucleic acid (RNA) within 90 days prior to randomization, or hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) within 90 days prior to randomization.
- Requires mechanical ventilation, or is hemodynamically unstable, at the time of randomization.
- Has a history of malignancy ≤5 years prior to signing informed consent.
- Is pregnant or expecting to conceive, is breastfeeding, or plans to breastfeed from the time of consent through at least 90 days following cessation of study therapy.
- Is expecting to donate eggs or sperm starting from the time of consent through at least 90 days following cessation of study therapy.
- Has received within 30 days prior to randomization or plans to receive during the study any of the following anti-CMV IgG antibody treatment or anti-CMV drug therapy including the following: Cidofovir, CMV hyper-immune globulin, Any investigational CMV antiviral agent/biologic therapy.
- Has received within 7 days prior to randomization or plans to receive during the study any of the following anti-CMV drug therapy: LET, GCV, VGCV, Foscarnet, ACV, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir.
- Is a user of recreational or illicit drugs or has had a recent history (within the last year) of drug or alcohol abuse or dependence.
- Is currently participating or has participated in a study with an unapproved investigational compound or device within 28 days, or 5× half-life of the investigational compound whichever is longer, of initial dosing on this study.
- Has previously participated in this study or any other study involving LET.
- Has previously participated or is currently participating in any study involving administration of a CMV vaccine or another CMV investigational agent, or is planning to participate in a study of a CMV vaccine or another CMV investigational agent during the course of this study.
- University of California-San Francisco ( Site 0236)
accepting new patients
San Francisco California 94143 United States
- Stanford Health Care ( Site 0235)
accepting new patients
Stanford California 94305 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
- Phase 3
- Study Type
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT03443869.