Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Bleselumab in Preventing the Recurrence of Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis in de Novo Kidney Transplant Recipients
The purpose of this study is to assess the efficacy of the bleselumab regimen (basiliximab induction, tacrolimus, steroids and bleselumab) compared with the Standard of Care (SOC) regimen (basiliximab induction, tacrolimus, steroids and mycophenolate mofetil [MMF]) in the prevention of recurrent Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (rFSGS) defined as nephrotic range proteinuria with protein-creatinine ratio (≥ 3.0 g/g) through 3 months post-transplant. Death, graft loss or lost to follow-up will be imputed as rFSGS.
A Phase 2a, Randomized, Open-Label, Active Control, Multi-Center Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Bleselumab in Preventing the Recurrence of Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis in de Novo Kidney Transplant Recipients
The study will consist of the following periods: Screening (Days -21 to -1), Transplant (Day 0), Post-Transplant (Day 0/post-skin closure through 12 months post-transplant). All subjects will enter into a Screening Period (Days -21 to -1 prior to transplant), undergo a Transplant (Day 0 [zero]), and are then to be followed for up to 12 months in the Post-Transplant Period (Day 0 through 12 months post-transplant).
Kidney Transplantation Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) Bleselumab ASKP1240 Efficacy and Safety Recurrence Glomerulosclerosis, Focal Segmental Prednisone Mycophenolic Acid Tacrolimus Basiliximab Mycophenolate Mofetil (MMF) Tacrolimus Capsules Methylprednisone
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Subject is a recipient of a de novo kidney from a living or deceased donor and has biopsy-proven, primary FSGS (pFSGS) as a cause of end stage renal disease (ESRD) in the subject's native kidneys (initial diagnosing biopsy report is required). A subject who has biopsy-proven pFSGS as a cause of ESRD, and the subject's most current graft failure(s) is due to the recurrence of FSGS, is eligible.
- Subject is anticipated to receive first oral dose of tacrolimus within 48 hours of transplant procedure.
- Subject must be willing and able to comply with the study requirements including prohibited concomitant medication restrictions.
- Subject agrees not to participate in another interventional study while on treatment.
You CAN'T join if...
- Subject has Induction therapy, other than study-assigned basiliximab, planned as part of initial immunosuppressive regimen.
- Subject has a diagnosis of secondary FSGS (familial, virus associated, medication, etc.) or a defined genetic cause of FSGS.
- Subject has previously received any organ transplant including a kidney and the most current graft failure(s) is not due to the recurrence of FSGS.
- Subject will receive a kidney as part of a multi-organ transplant.
- Subject will receive a dual kidney transplant from a deceased donor.
- Subject will receive a kidney with an anticipated cold ischemia time (CIT) of > 30 hours.
- Subject will receive a kidney that meets BOTH Extended Criteria Donor (ECD) and Donation after Cardiac Death (DCD) criteria. (A kidney that meets either ECD OR DCD criteria may be eligible for inclusion.)
- Subject will receive a blood group system (A, AB, B, O, ABO) incompatible (including A2 into B or O) donor kidney.
- Recipient or donor is known to be seropositive for human immuno-deficiency virus (HIV).
- Subject has a current calculated panel reactive antibody (cPRA) level > 50%.
- Subject has a current malignancy or a history of malignancy (within the past 5 years), except nonmetastatic basal or squamous cell carcinoma of the skin that has been treated successfully, or a renal cell carcinoma that has been treated successfully more than 2 years prior to transplantation.
- Subject has significant liver disease, defined as having during the past 21 days consistently elevated aspartate aminotransferase (AST) (SGOT) and/or alanine aminotransferase (ALT) (SGPT) levels greater than 1.5 times the upper value of the normal range of the investigational site.
- Subject is known to have a positive test for latent tuberculosis (TB) and has not previously received adequate anti-microbial therapy/or would require TB prophylaxis after transplant.
- Subject has an uncontrolled concomitant infection or any other unstable medical condition that could interfere with the study objectives.
- Subject is concurrently participating in another drug study or has received an investigational drug up to 30 days or 5 half-lives prior to transplant.
- Subject is currently receiving or has received up to 8 weeks prior to transplant an immunologic biologic compound (i.e., tumor necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitors, [e.g., etanercept, adalimumab], intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG)). A subject who has previously received a kidney organ transplant and is currently on an immunosuppression regimen that includes MMF, or any of its components, must discontinue MMF.
- Subject has previously received bleselumab or participated in a clinical study with bleselumab.
- Subject has a known hypersensitivity to tacrolimus, MMF, basiliximab, corticosteroids, or any of the components.
- Subject has any form of substance abuse, psychiatric disorder, or a condition that could invalidate communication with the Investigator.
- Subject has a clinically significant abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG) at Screening.
- Subject is unlikely to comply with the visits scheduled in the protocol
accepting new patients
San Francisco California 94143 United States
- California Pacific Medical Center
accepting new patients
San Francisco California 94115 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Astellas Pharma Global Development, Inc.
- Phase 2
- Study Type
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT02921789.