Tenofovir Alafenamide (TAF) in Children and Adolescents With Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Infection
a study on Hepatitis B
The primary objective of Cohort 1 of this study is to evaluate the safety, tolerability, and antiviral activity (HBV DNA < 20 IU/mL) of tenofovir alafenamide (TAF) 25 mg once daily versus placebo through Week 24 in treatment-naive and treatment-experienced adolescent adolescents (aged 12 to < 18 years) with chronic hepatitis B (CHB). Cohort 2 will consist of 2 parts: Part A and Part B. Intensive pharmacokinetic (PK) data will be collected from all participants in Part A to confirm the dose of TAF in each dose group and the remaining participants will be enrolled into Part B once dose confirmation is achieved. The primary objectives of Part A are to evaluate the steady-state PK of TAF and tenofovir (TFV) and confirm the dose of TAF given once daily in children (aged 2 to < 12 years) with CHB. The primary objective of Part B is to evaluate the safety and tolerability of TAF at Week 48 and the antiviral activity (HBV DNA < 20 IU/mL) of TAF at Week 24 in children (aged 2 to < 12 years) with CHB.
A Randomized, Double-Blind Evaluation of the Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Antiviral Efficacy of Tenofovir Alafenamide (TAF) in Children and Adolescent Subjects With Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Infection
Chronic Hepatitis B CHB HBV Hepatitis Hepatitis A Hepatitis, Chronic Hepatitis B Hepatitis B, Chronic Virus Diseases Tenofovir
For people ages 2–17
Key Inclusion criteria:
- Males and non-pregnant, non-lactating females
- Weight at screening as follows:
- Cohort 1 = ≥ 35 kg (≥ 77 lbs)
- Cohort 2 Group 1 = ≥ 25 kg (≥ 55 lbs)
- Cohort 2 Group 2 = ≥ 17 kg to < 25 kg (≥ 37 lbs to <55 lbs)
- Cohort 2 Group 3 = < 17 kg (< 37 lbs)
- Willing and able to provide written informed consent/assent (child and parent/legal guardian)
- Documented evidence of CHB (eg, HBsAg-positive for ≥ 6 months)
- Treatment-naive or treatment-experienced will be eligible for enrollment.
Estimated creatinine clearance (CLCr) ≥ 80 mL/min/1.73m2 (using the Schwartz formula)
- Normal ECG
Key Exclusion criteria:
- Females who are breastfeeding
- Males and females of reproductive potential who are unwilling to use an "effective",protocol-specified method(s) of contraception during the study.
- Coinfection with hepatitis C virus (HCV), HIV, or hepatitis D virus (HDV)
- Evidence of hepatocellular carcinoma (Note: if screening alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) is <50 ng/mL no imaging study is needed; however, if the screening AFP is > 50 ng/mL an imaging study is required)
- Any history of, or current evidence of, clinical hepatic decompensation
- Abnormal hematological and biochemical parameters
- Chronic liver disease of non-HBV etiology (e.g., hemochromatosis, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, cholangitis)
- Received solid organ or bone marrow transplant
- Currently receiving therapy with immunomodulators (eg, corticosteroids), or immunosuppressants
- Significant renal, cardiovascular, pulmonary, or neurological disease in the opinion of the Investigator
- Malignancy within the 5 years prior to screening. Individuals under evaluation for possible malignancy are not eligible.
- Current alcohol or substance abuse judged by the investigator to potentially interfere with subject compliance.
Note: Other protocol defined Inclusion/Exclusion criteria may apply.
- San Francisco, California, 94158, United States
- Seattle, Washington, 98105, United States
- Aurora, Colorado, 80045, United States
- Fort Worth, Texas, 76104, United States
- Omaha, Nebraska, 68198, United States
- Dallas, Texas, 75235, United States
- San Antonio, Texas, 78215, United States
- Kansas City, Missouri, 64108, United States
- Houston, Texas, 77030, United States
- Indianapolis, Indiana, 46202, United States
- Nashville, Tennessee, 37232, United States
- Cincinnati, Ohio, 45229, United States
- Morgantown, West Virginia, 26506, United States
- Baltimore, Maryland, 21287, United States
- Miami, Florida, 33136, United States
- Kazan, Tatarstan, 420110, Russian Federation
- Krasnoyarsk, 660074, Russian Federation
- Moscow, 111123, Russian Federation
- Moscow, 115446, Russian Federation
- Moscow, 119991, Russian Federation
- Saint Petersburg, 197022, Russian Federation
- Saint Petersburg, 197101, Russian Federation
- Tolyatti, 445009, Russian Federation
- Brussels, 1200, Belgium
- Daegu, 41944, Korea, Republic of
- Seoul, 03080, Korea, Republic of
- Seoul, 03722, Korea, Republic of
- Seoul, 05505, Korea, Republic of
- Seoul, 06351, Korea, Republic of
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Nagpur, Maharashtra, 440010, India
- Lucknow, U.p., 226003, India
- Kolkata, West Bengal, 700020, India
- Jaipur, 302001, India
- Mumbai, 400012, India
- Surat, 395002, India
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT02932150.