A Phase 2 Study of Cediranib in Combination With Olaparib in Advanced Solid Tumors
This phase II trial studies cediranib maleate in combination with olaparib in treating patients with solid tumors that have spread to other parts of the body or cannot be removed by surgery, including breast cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, small cell lung cancer, and pancreatic cancer. Cediranib maleate and olaparib may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the enzymes needed for cell growth. Cediranib maleate may also block the flow of oxygen to the tumor, and may help make the tumor more sensitive to olaparib.
- To determine the objective response rate (ORR) of cediranib (cediranib maleate) plus olaparib in combination in patients with advanced or metastatic solid tumors of the following tumor types: non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), triple negative breast cancer (TNBC), pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC), and small cell lung cancer (SCLC).
- To assess the safety and tolerability of oral administration of cediranib in combination with olaparib in patients with select advanced solid tumors.
II. To estimate progression free survival (PFS) in each tumor cohort.
- To estimate the prevalence of the mutations of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) repair genes in tumors using the BROCA panel and to correlate tumor regression with mutations status. (Integrated) II. To evaluate changes in tumor hypoxia on cediranib treatment compared to baseline by [F-18] fluoromisonidazole (FMISO) positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) in patients with NSCLC.
III. To evaluate levels of angiogenesis/inflammatory markers including VEGF at baseline and on treatment.
IV. To evaluate levels of circulating tumor deoxyribonucleic acid (ctDNA) at baseline and on treatment.
Patients receive cediranib maleate orally (PO) once daily (QD) on day 1. Patients undergoing FMISO scan also receive olaparib PO twice daily (BID) beginning the day after the second FMISO scan and the rest of the patients receive olaparib PO BID beginning day 4 of course 1. Courses repeat every 28 days (35 days for course 1) in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed up for 4 weeks and then every 4 weeks thereafter.
Estrogen Receptor Negative HER2/Neu Negative Metastatic Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma Progesterone Receptor Negative Stage III Breast Cancer AJCC v7 Stage III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer AJCC v7 Stage III Pancreatic Cancer AJCC v6 and v7 Stage III Small Cell Lung Carcinoma AJCC v7 Stage IIIA Breast Cancer AJCC v7 Stage IIIA Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer AJCC v7 Stage IIIA Small Cell Lung Carcinoma AJCC v7 Stage IIIB Breast Cancer AJCC v7 Stage IIIB Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer AJCC v7 Stage IIIB Small Cell Lung Carcinoma AJCC v7 Stage IIIC Breast Cancer AJCC v7 Stage IV Breast Cancer AJCC v6 and v7 Stage IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer AJCC v7 Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer AJCC v6 and v7 Stage IV Small Cell Lung Carcinoma AJCC v7 Triple-Negative Breast Carcinoma Unresectable Pancreatic Carcinoma Carcinoma Breast Neoplasms Lung Neoplasms Carcinoma, Non-Small-Cell Lung Adenocarcinoma Pancreatic Neoplasms Small Cell Lung Carcinoma Triple Negative Breast Neoplasms Olaparib Cediranib Misonidazole Maleic acid
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Patients must have histologically confirmed, metastatic or unresectable malignancy of the following types: (a) non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), (b) triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC; defined by estrogen receptor [ER] < 1%, progesterone receptor[PR] < 1% and HER2 1+ or less by immunohistochemistry [IHC]; if HER-2 expression is 2+, a negative fluorescence in situ hybridization [FISH] testing is required) (c)pancreatic adenocarcinoma (PDAC), or (d) small cell lung cancer (SCLC)
- Must have received at least one line of standard systemic treatment for locally advanced or metastatic disease setting of the respective tumor type; for NSCLC, it is either PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitor, or platinum-containing chemotherapy, or an EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor or an ALK inhibitor if sensitizing mutation present; TNBC:platinum-containing chemotherapy; PDAC: fluorouracil (5-FU-), gemcitabine-, or taxane-containing chemotherapy either with or without radiation therapy; SCLC:platinum-containing chemotherapy for limited or extensive stage disease
- Patients must have measurable disease by Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors(RECIST) version (v)1.1
- Toxicities of prior therapy (except alopecia) should be resolved to =< grade 1 as per National Cancer Institute (NCI)-Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE)version (v)5.0; patients with long-standing stable grade 2 neuropathy may be considered after discussion with the study principal investigator (PI)
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status 0, 1 or 2 (Karnofsky >=50%)
- Life expectancy of >= 4 months
- Leukocytes >= 3,000/mcL
- Absolute neutrophil count >= 1,500/mcL
- Platelets >= 100,000/mcL
- Hemoglobin > 9 g/dL
- Total bilirubin =< 1.5 x the institutional upper limit of normal (ULN)
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase[SGOT])/alanine aminotransferase (ALT) (serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase [SGPT])=< 2.5 x institutional ULN
- Creatinine =< 1.5 x ULN OR
Creatinine clearance >= 45 mL/min/1.73 m2 for patients with creatinine levels above institutional normal
- A urine protein:creatinine ratio of < 1 or < 1 g protein on 24-hour urine collection
- International normalized ration (INR) within 1.25 x ULN institutional limits, except where a lupus anti-coagulant has been confirmed
- Activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) within 1.25 x ULN institutional limits,except where a lupus anti-coagulant has been confirmed
- Patients must be able to tolerate oral medications and not have gastrointestinal illnesses that would preclude absorption of cediranib or olaparib
- Adequately controlled thyroid function, with no symptoms of thyroid dysfunction;elevated thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) with normal T3 and T4 are allowed; patients on thyroid replacement therapy are allowed
- Adequately controlled blood pressure (BP) < 140 mmHg (systolic) and < 90 mmHg(diastolic) taken in the clinic setting by a medical professional within 2 weeks prior to starting study; patients with hypertension may be managed with up to a maximum of 3 antihypertensive medications; patients who are on 3 antihypertensive medications are highly recommended to be followed by a cardiologist or blood pressure specialist for management of BP while on protocol
- Patients who have the following risk factors are considered to be at increased risk for cardiac toxicities, and must have documented left ventricular ejection fraction(LVEF) by echocardiogram greater than institution's lower limit of normal (or 55% if threshold for normal not otherwise specified by institutional guidelines) obtained within 3 months
- Prior treatment with anthracyclines
- Prior treatment with trastuzumab
- A New York Heart Association (NYHA) classification of II controlled with treatment
- Prior central thoracic radiation therapy (RT), including RT to the heart
- History of myocardial infarction within 12 months (patients with history of myocardial infarction within 6 months are excluded from the study)
- Women of child-bearing potential and men must agree to use adequate contraception(hormonal or barrier method of birth control; abstinence) prior to study entry and for the duration of study participation; should a woman become pregnant or suspect she is pregnant while she or her partner is participating in this study, she should inform her treating physician immediately; men treated or enrolled on this protocol must also agree to use adequate contraception prior to the study, for the duration of study participation, and for 4 months after completion of cediranib and olaparib administration
- Ability to understand and the willingness to sign a written informed consent document
You CAN'T join if...
- Patients who have had chemotherapy or RT within 3 weeks prior to start of the study agents, or those who have not recovered from adverse events due to agents administered more than 3 weeks earlier
- Patients should not have received any other investigational agents within the past 4 weeks
- Patients with untreated brain metastases, spinal cord compression, or evidence of symptomatic brain metastases or leptomeningeal disease as noted on computed tomography(CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans should be excluded from this clinical trial; screening brain MRI (or CT if MRI contraindicated) will be required for patients with recurrent NSCLC, TNBC, or SCLC; brain MRI (or CT if MRI contraindicated)is required for PDAC if clinically suspected by patient's symptoms or neurological exam; should patient found to have brain metastasis, treatment of brain metastasis must precede the participation in this study; for patients with known and treated brain metastases is allowed in this study if they fulfill the following criteria:
- The lesions have improved or remained stable radiographically and clinically for at least 6 weeks after completion of brain irradiation or stereotactic brain radiosurgery and off steroids for at least 6 weeks
- Patients who have received prior inhibitor of VEGF signaling and a poly (ADP-ribose)polymerases (PARP) inhibitor administered in combination; unless administered in combination, patients who received a prior PARP inhibitor or a prior VEGF-signaling inhibitor agent are allowed after discussing with the PI
- History of allergic reactions attributed to compounds of similar chemical or biologic composition to cediranib or olaparib
- Participants receiving any medications or substances that are strong inhibitors or inducers of cytochrome P450, family 3, subfamily A, polypeptide 4 (CYP3A4) are ineligible; dihydropyridine calcium-channel blockers are permitted for management of hypertension
- Current use of natural herbal products or other complementary alternative medications(CAM) or "folk remedies"
- Patients with concomitant or prior invasive malignancies within the past 3 years;subjects with treated limited stage basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma of the skin or carcinoma in situ of the breast or cervix are eligible
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements
- History of myocardial infarction within 6 months prior to registration
- History of stroke or transient ischemic attack within 6 months prior to registration
- NYHA classification of III or IV
- Current cardiac arrhythmia requiring concurrent use of anti-arrhythmic drugs
- History of hypertensive crisis or hypertensive encephalopathy within 3 years prior to registration
- Clinically significant peripheral vascular disease or abdominal aortic aneurysm (> 5 cm) or aortic dissection; if known history of abdominal aortic aneurysm with >= 4 cm in diameter, all of the following must be met:
- An ultrasound (US) within the last 6 months prior to registration will be required to document that it is =< 5 cm
- Patient must be asymptomatic from the aneurysm
- Blood pressure must be well controlled as defined in this protocol
- A major surgical procedure, open biopsy, or significant traumatic injury within 28 days prior to starting cediranib (percutaneous/endobronchial biopsies are allowed)
- History of bowel obstruction within 1 month prior to starting study drugs
- History of hemoptysis or any significant bleeding within the last 1 month prior to enrollment
- Presence of cavitation of central pulmonary lesion
- History of abdominal fistula, intra-abdominal abscess, or gastrointestinal perforation within the 3 months prior to enrollment
- Patients may not have current dependency on intravenous (IV) hydration or total parenteral nutrition (TPN)
- Patients may not have evidence of coagulopathy or bleeding diathesis; therapeutic anticoagulation for prior thromboembolic events is permitted; the clinical indication for therapeutic anticoagulation must be clearly documented prior to enrollment and must be discussed with the P.I.; patients who are on greater than or equal to 2 anti-thrombotic agents, including but not limited to anti-platelet agents(non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs]/aspirin, clopidogrel), heparin, low molecular weight heparin (LMWH), warfarin, and a direct thrombin inhibitor, will be excluded
- Patients may not have features suggestive of myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) or acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) on peripheral blood smear or bone marrow biopsy, if clinically indicated
- Pregnant women are excluded from this study; breastfeeding should be discontinued if the mother is treated with cediranib and olaparib
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive patients on combination antiretroviral therapy are ineligible
- Any condition that, in the opinion of the treating investigator would interfere with evaluation of the investigational product or interpretation of subject safety or study results
- UCSF Medical Center-Mount Zion accepting new patients
San Francisco, California, 94115, United States
- University of California Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center accepting new patients
Sacramento, California, 95817, United States
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.
You will also receive an email with next steps. Check your junk/spam folder if needed.
If you do not hear from the study team, please call 888-689-8273 and tell them you’re interested in study number NCT02498613.